Norflox-TZ is a combination medication that contains two antibiotics. It effectively treats diarrhea and dysentery by killing the infection-causing bacteria.
Norflox-TZ can cause some side effects such as nausea, stomach problems, and dryness of the mouth. Drink plenty of water to avoid any side effects. If the side effects aggravate, consult your doctor. If you have any health condition such as liver or kidney disease, inform your doctor before starting the medication.
You can take Norflox-TZ tablet with or without food. Adjust the dosage and duration as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take more than the prescribed dosage. If you miss a dose, take the medication as soon as possible.
Salt Composition of Norflox-TZ
Norfloxacin 400mg + Tinidazole 600mg
Norflox tablet treats diarrhea and dysentery caused by bacterial or parasitic infections.
How is it useful in diarrhea?
Diarrhea is an increase in the frequency of bowel movements. A bacterial infection causes this in the digestive tract. Norflox-TZ tablet helps to cure diarrhea caused by bacterial infection by killing the bacteria. You should take the medication on time as recommended by the doctor so that you recover quickly. Drink plenty of water along with the drug so that you stay well hydrated.
How is Norflox useful in dysentery?
Dysentry is caused by a bacterial or parasitic infection that causes loose, watery stools and stomach cramps. It can be a result of the ingestion of contaminated food or water. Norflox-TZ tablet kills the infection-causing bacteria or parasites and helps relieve symptoms. You should take the medication on time as recommended by the doctor so that you recover quickly. Drink plenty of water along with the drug so that you stay well hydrated.
Side effects of Norflox-TZ
Norflox-TZ tablet causes mild side effects that do not require medical attention and tend to disappear after a while. If the side effects aggravate, consult your doctor.
- Dryness of mouth
- Stomach upset
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Heartburn or acidity
- Loss of appetite
- Skin rash
Directions to use Norflox-TZ
- Follow the instructions written on the leaflet that comes with the medication.
- Take the medication with or without food, as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew or break it.
- Take the medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take it regularly at a fixed time.
- Ensure plenty intake of water when taking the medication as it can cause an increased risk of stone formation in the kidney.
- Do not consume more than the recommended dose.
- Do not use it after the expiration date.
How does Norflox-TZ work
Norflox-TZ Tablet is a combination medication made of two antibiotics; norfloxacin and tinidazole. Norfloxacin works by preventing the repair of damaged DNA; in this way, it kills the bacteria.
Tinidazole works by damaging the bacterial DNA. Together, these antibiotics treat diarrhea and dysentery effectively.
Norflox-TZ tablet shouldn’t be taken in the following conditions:
1. Alcohol consumption
Consuming alcohol along with intake of Norflox tablet can cause a disulfiram-like reaction. It is characterized by flushing, palpitations, nausea, chest pain, and low blood pressure.
Although there is a limited study available regarding the harmful effects of Norflox on humans, it is unsafe to use in pregnancy. Always consult your doctor before starting with the medication during pregnancy.
The drug might pass into the breast milk. So lactating mothers are advised not to take the medication.
4. Renal disease:
Dosage adjustment might be required in kidney disease. So inform your doctor if you suffer from kidney disease before taking Norflox tablet.
It is unsafe to drive while taking Norflox-TZ because it might cause dizziness and make you feel drowsy. This will possibly affect your driving ability.
6. Allergic reaction:
If you are allergic to the antibiotics used in this formula, do not take this medication and inform your doctor about any allergic reaction.
7. History of tendon rupture or tendon damage
If you have a history of tendon rupture, infection, or tendon damage, consult your doctor about any alternatives.
8. History of muscle weakness or myasthenia gravis
If you have any CNS or nerve-related disease, inform your doctor beforehand. The doctor might taper the dose or prescribe an alternative to Norflox.
Norflox-TZ is not a habit-forming drug, i.e., it has no abuse potential.
Talk to your doctor if:
- You are pregnant or planning a pregnancy
- You are breastfeeding
- You have tendon rupture or other tendon-related problems
- You have muscle weakness or myasthenia gravis
- You have CNS or nerve-related problems
- You have kidney or liver disease
- You have heart problems such as rhythm irregularities, slow heartbeat, or irregular heartbeats.
- You have joint problems or rheumatoid arthritis.
- Norflox-TZ is not recommended for children under 18 years of age.
Interactions of Norflox-TZ with other medications:
Certain medications can have reactions when given with other medicines, so they should not be used together.
- Using nitrofurantoin with Norflox-TZ is not recommended as it alters the effects of norfloxacin.
- Interaction between theophylline and Norflox results in nausea, diarrhea, headache, skin rash, increased heart rate, and insomnia.
- Simultaneous use of Norflox and NSAIDs increase the risk of fits and seizures. Hence, use the medication cautiously.
- The use of blood thinners such as warfarin, heparin, etc., along with Norflox-TZ, can increase this medication’s effects.
- Antidiabetic drugs, when taken with this medication, can affect your blood sugar levels.
- Medications like cimetidine and ketoconazole can cause an increase in the side effects of Norflox.
- Antacids, multivitamins, and didanosine (antiviral drug) should not be consumed with this medication. Take them 2 hours before or either 2 hours after taking Norflox.
Frequently asked questions
Norflox-TZ is a combination medication containing a mixture of two antibiotics; norfloxacin and tinidazole. It helps to cure diarrhea and dysentery caused by bacterial or parasitic infections. It kills the microorganism by damaging their DNA. You can consume it with or without food.
Yes, Norflox-TZ can increase the risk of tendon rupture in patients of all ages, especially in the Achilles tendon. If you experience any pain, bruising, or unable to use the affected arm or leg, consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Experts do not recommend taking Norflox during pregnancy. It can cause defective cartilage and bone development in the fetus when taken by pregnant women.
No, do not stop taking the medication even if you see a relief in symptoms. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured. Continue using the medicine for as long as your physician has prescribed it.
No, it is not advised to drink alcohol when taking Norflox-TZ. It can cause a disulfiram-like reaction. Symptoms include flushing, increased heart rate, nausea, vomiting, and headache.
Yes, there are a few contraindications associated with the use of this medication. This includes pregnancy, breastfeeding, kidney disease, alcohol consumption, and liver disease. Always inform your doctor if you suffer from any such condition so that the doctor can advise you on medication accordingly.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is time for the next dose, skip the previous one and take the next dose. Do not take a double dose at a time.
No. Taking a dose higher than the recommended dose can cause an increase in the severity of side effects. Norflox-TZ takes some time to show full effect, so take the medication according to the doctor’s prescription. But if you experience an increase in the frequency of diarrhea that is not relieved by the recommended dosage, consult your doctor for re-evaluation.