Did you know about Bahamian cuisine? Conch salad is the specialty of Bahamian cuisine.
It is a famous salad of Bahamian cuisine. The salad contains all the vegetable ingredients. The vegetables and the fresh or dried conch get flooded in the lime juice or some other citrus syrups in the conch salad. The citrus feel is the characteristic of it that makes it interesting and tasty.
Here we brought some details about it. We will let you know about the original recipe of it, we will also give you details about the nutritional profile of the conch salad.
How to make the conch salad:
It is as we have described above is a salad for vegans. Other than the conch there are all the basic vegetables available in it. These vegetables make it calorie efficient and healthy to have. Let’s have the details of how can you make a healthy meal for yourself.
Other than the conch many other ingredients make it tasty. Let’s have the list of all the ingredients that we needed for the conch salad.
- Lemon juice
- Lime juice
- Orange juice
- Jalapeno pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cilantro leaves
- European cucumber
- Yellow bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion
- Florida avocados.
Here are the few instructions that are important to follow when you are planning to make the conch salad. These instructions are very easy. Just consider them and fluently start making your conch salad.
- Take the red pepper, onion, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, and avocados. Wash them all with clean tap water.
- Cut all the vegetables except the avocados and the tomatoes. Cut them into cubes.
- Transfer all the cubed vegetables to the bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, lime juice, and orange juice to the bowl that has already diced vegetables in it.
- Stir these vegetables a bit and transfer the bowl to the refrigerator for enhancing the flavors.
- Now when you remove the bowl from the refrigerator. It will be cool enough to serve. Top this salad bowl with the diced tomatoes and avocados.
- Add the conch that gets drench in the lemon juice to the bowl that has the diced vegetables in it with the citrus juices
- You can dress it with extra virgin olive oil also.
- For a fancy look have the wine glasses and serve them in them.
If you are new to it you must be mesmerized by its juicy textures. THEY ALL FLOODED IN JUICE.
The nutritional profile of the conch salad
It has a good nutritional profile. There is a decent amount of proteins and fibers are there in it. Let’s have the sources of the nutrients.
- The proteins in it mainly come from the conch. The conch is good in proteins, fats, and vitamin E. Besides the taste, you can have nutrition also from the conch.
- It is rich in vitamin C. This vitamin c comes from the citruses juices that we have added to the conch salad. The conch salad is almost in drench from citrus juices. There is a variety of citrus juices that are in use in the conch salad. Vitamin C helps in boosting the immune system. And it has many other functions also.
- Get a huge amount of fibers for yourself with in it. There are many vegetables in use in it. Other than the above-mentioned vegetables you can add a lot more of your choice. The customization of the salad is all dependent on you. You can have all your favorite vegetables in it.
- The carbohydrates are present in a little amount in it. These carbs also come from vegetables and some lime juices.
It is on the whole is calorie efficient. You will only obtain a little number of calories from the bulk of the.
Also Read: Kani Salad: Perfect Recipe & Nutrition
It is one of the seafood salads. The conch salad contains the most interesting ingredients in it that the conch. It is a Bahamian dish. People of Bahamian have raw conch in their conch salad. The salad is dipped in the citruses juices and these juices give the best taste.
The nutritional profile of it is good also. The most nutrients rich ingredient that is there in the conch salad is the conch itself. Conch is rich in proteins, and good fats. In the conch salad, the fibers are also there. These fibers come from the vegetables that we have added to our conch salad.
If you like that juicy conch salad. Let us know in the comment section below.
Is the conch safe to eat?
The conch is eaten most prominently in the Bahamian. Every part of the conch is edible. The people use the conch in the soups salad and other dishes. It can be eaten raw and some eat this after cooking also. Because of cooking some of the nutrients may get lost. The proteins will get denatured due to cooking. Hence for this reason it is advisable to have it raw.
Is the conch cocked in the conch salad?
The conch is not cooked in the conch salad. The conch is drenched in citrus juice before the day of making the conch salad. This dip makes the conch soft and easier to chew. The conch is not cooked in the conch salad. You can enjoy the all nutrients of the conch in the conch salad.
For how many days I can preserve my conch salad?
It is preserved in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. You can store it for a day only. The shelf life of it is short because it contains citrus juices. The drenched vegetables are the favorite of the spoilage bacteria.
Better to have it as soon as you prepare it. Don’t preserve it for later.