Want to have some crab meat in your julienne salad? You must be talking about the Kani salad. It is a Japanese-style salad. It is made of julienne-style vegetables with some crabs in it. The salad is then topped with Japanese mayonnaise.
The Japanese mayonnaise is a little different in taste. It is a bit spicy when compared to the normal mayonnaises. If the spices are in julienne salad with some crab meat in it and it is directly the Kani salad. So, you can say it is a spicy one.
The article is for those who want to experience the authentic taste of it, for those who want to know the details about the Kani salad, its making procedure, its ingredients, and many more.
What is Kani Salad?
In Japanese, crab is called the Kani. When we talk internationally the Kani is the intimation crab meat.
The imitation crab meat is made by processing the mild fish and transforming its meat into paste. The paste is then flaked out easily just like the crab and has a similar taste to the crabmeat also.
How to make Kani salad?
Want to have an authentic Japanese-style one? Here we bring the original recipe for you. It is made of a few ingredients that have easy availability.
If you know how to make the Julienne salad then Kani salad is easy for you to make.
What are Kani Salad Ingredients?
Let’s find out what ingredients are there in Kani Salad Recipe. The ingredients that make it special are of course the Kani.
Besides the Kani, the vegetables make it unique and tasty also. The list of ingredients is here for you
- Japanese mayonnaise
Instructions for Kani sald recipe
Instructions are easy to follow. There are just a few steps to follow when you are making it.
- Let’s start with the dressing for it. Take a bowl, add Japanese mayo, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to it. Stir all the ingredients well until they get fully combined. Set this dressing aside and concentrate on the actual salad making.
- Take all the vegetables and fruit, cucumber, carrots, and mango. After washings, peel their skin and cut them into thin long strips.
- It is recommended to take the hard mango that is not over ripen. If you take a juice mango then its juice will destroy the texture of your overall salad.
- Take the Kani and shred it into long threads. The Kani is preferred because it is affordable in price as compared to the real crab and tastes the same.
- Now transfer all the ingredients to the bowl stir them gently. The salad is almost ready.
- Dress your one with the dressing that you have made in the earlier steps. Toss the ingredients a bit and the salad is ready to eat.
- Take your chopsticks and start enjoying your home made one.
Ways of serving the saad
In different regions of the world, people eat the Kani salad differently. Some eat as the main dish, some eat as the side dish, some with chicken and some with lettuce also. Let’s get into the details.
- Lunch: You can have it in your lunch. If you are in the mood of having a light spicy lunch then it can be best for you.
- Kani salad with chicken steaks: It can be serve to you with the grilled chicken steaks. The grilled steak is preferred because they are healthier than the fried steaks.
- Kani salad with lettuce: Like the julienne salad you can serve the Kani salad with the lettuce leaves also. This is another healthy option you can choose for yourself.
- Side dish: In your long menu the Kani salad can be serve to you as a side dish. Place it in the starters and this increases the appetizing feel for the main course for sure.
The way you serve your Kani dish depends on the menu you are having or the time when you are going to serve this Kani salad. Observe the situation first and then serve your salad according to it.
Kani Salad Nutrition:
In each serving of the salad the person will get 130 calories and will have 10g Carbohydrates, 6g Protein, and 7g Fat. It also contains nutrients like Calcium, Iron, Sodium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D. So, the dish is packed with various nutrients.
The Kani salad is just like the Julienne salad. In addition to the julienne salad style vegetables, the Kani salad also contains Kani in it and Japanese style mayonnaise. This Japanese-style mayonnaise is spicy to have. This makes the Kani salad a little spicy.
The making procedure of the Kani salad is easy. There are just a few steps in the making of the Kani salad. You can have the Kani salad in a variety of ways. You can have it in the lunch, as appetizers, with steaks, and with the lettuce also. Try one that suits you the most.
Hopefully, after reading this article, you will make the perfect Kani salad, if it’s true then do comment in the comments section below.
Can I preserve the Kani salad in the refrigerator?
The Kani salad can be preserved in the refrigerator for up to 3 days when placed in an airtight container. You can either have it immediately or after refrigerating it. It is noticed that the Kani salad tastes better when served after one day of refrigeration. This happens because the flavors in the salad get settled down.
Can I eat imitation crab raw without cooking?
Yes, you can have imitation crab directly from the packaging. You can’t say it raw because this is already gets cooked during the processing. The cooked imitation crab is then packed, hence eating it directly from the package does not consider the raw eating of the imitation crab.
What is the protein profile of the imitation crab?
Imitation crab is made of surimi seafood. This surimi seafood is shredded and then processed to make a paste of it. This has the same taste as the real crab. The surimi seafood is low in calories and it is high in proteins. When you eat imitation crab you can have a huge amount of proteins in your diet.
The imitation crab food is pre-cooked also. You can have it directly from the package. There is no need to cook it.
Is Kani Salad Healthy?
Many people wonder it is healthy to have the salad. But the salad is healthy and serves calories of about 169.