Chicken salad is the most common dish that we eat. These salads taste the best when the ingredients are properly tossed in the refrigerator. Freezing a chicken salad can have some disadvantages. Thawing a frozen chicken salad makes an unpleasant taste in the chicken salad. There are some crucial steps to consider when you are planning to freeze the chicken salad.
The article is here to help you when you are planning to freeze your chicken salad, we will also let you know about the shelf life of the frozen chicken salad and other details about the frozen chicken salad.
How to freeze chicken salad?
Freezing is a preservative technique. It can reduce the spoilage within the food item by decreasing the temperature. The process is complex and it needs the following steps to follow. Follow these steps carefully to properly freeze your chicken salad.
- Airtight container: In the first step you have to choose a proper size airtight container. Label it with the date and time and the name of the product. Mention the date on which you made your chicken salad. The container is necessary so that no other thing can enter into your salad.
- Toss the salad: Before freezing, properly tossed the salad. The tossing is important because this will separate the ingredients in the salad.
- Filling the air-tight container: Take a big spoon and transfer the salad from the bowl to the air-tight container. Try not to fill it to the top of the container. Leave some air space. If you fill the salad to the top of the air-tight bag then this will may get rapture during defrosting. The air-tight container acts as a protective layer. It prevents the salad from freeze burns so that the salad remains in its original texture.
- Food saver: This is an optional step. If you have a food saver place your air-tight bag or your airtight container in the food saver and then place this food saver in the freezer. This food saver will take a lot of space in your freezer but if you have one this will preserve your food very efficiently.
The chicken salad is ready to freeze in the freezer. Take it out, defrost it, and have your favorite chicken salad. Anytime you want.
How to defrost a frozen chicken salad?
The most crucial step is here, and it is the defrosting. The way you defrost your chicken salad can place the biggest impact on the flavors of your chicken salad. Defrost your chicken salad properly to have the original taste.
- The best way to thaw the chicken salad is by keeping it in the refrigerator. It may take seven to eight hours to properly defrost in the refrigerator.
- If you try to defrost your chicken salad in the microwave or on the stove. You may be ready to lose the flavors of your chicken salad. Through this thawing process, the water also leaches out from the ingredients. And with this water, some nutrients also come out of the chicken and vegetables.
- Besides the refrigeration thawing, the other quick method of defrosting is, to place the air-tight frozen salad bag in the water bath and then wait for few hours.
- You must have noticed that while thawing there will be some liquid separating from the salad. Some people mix this liquid with the salad however this is not a good practice to do. Separate the salad from that liquid and then have it.
Shelf life of a frozen chicken salad:
The most important thing that you should know before preserving a food item is its shelf life. When this shelf-life period exceeds the limit, the food item will not remain healthy to eat anymore.
The maximum shelf life that you can have of a chicken salad when you freeze it is three months. It is advisable to eat it within a month but it can last to three months. Eating a frozen chicken salad can be a little different. The original texture may get lost in defrost chicken salad and you may also experience some off-flavors in your salad.
If you notice any of that, don’t get panic, the salad is not spoiled these are just after-effects of being frozen.
Do read: Amish Broccoli Salad
Freezing and refrigeration are two preservation techniques through which you can preserve your chicken salad for a longer period. In the freezer, your chicken salad can last for three months and in the refrigerator, it will remain safe to eat for five days
The freezing of the chicken salad is easy but the crucial step is its defrost. There are three ways to defrost the chicken salad. The best out of them is by placing the frozen salad in the refrigerator for seven to eight hours. The taste of the salad after freezing will not remain the same. You may feel a little different taste when you eat a thawed chicken salad.
If this article helps you in freezing your chicken salad let us know in the comments section
Freezing a salad with mayonnaise is not a good idea. The mayonnaise becomes an oily mess at the time of thawing and this will affect the overall taste of the salad.
Freeze the salad without the dressings. Sprinkle the dressings after the frozen salad gets thawed.
Following are some food items that should not be frozen.
Cream-based soups and sauces
Cooked egg white or boiled eggs
Icings that includes egg whites in them
The refrigerated chicken salad has a shelf life of three to five days. You can have your chicken salad for three to five days when preserved in the refrigerator.
When you freeze the chicken salad its shelf life increased to 3 months. You can have your favorite chicken salad for 3 months when you place it in the freezer.