Have you ever woke up in the middle of the night to a sharp pain in the ear? Earache is pretty much unbearable just like toothaches, making it difficult to sleep, eat, or do anything. Many children find it particularly difficult to deal with an earache. It’s better to have some idea about home remedies for earache.
They can be caused by several reasons. The causes of the earache are discussed below with its symptoms. People who are experiencing severe pain should always see to a doctor (otorhinolaryngologist) especially for the first time. However, there are many remedies that people can use at home to relieve less severe earaches or means of reducing pain.
The article explores effective home remedies for earache that you may try at home.
Causes of earache
An earache can be caused due to multiple reasons, the most common being an infection in the ear. Here are some prime factors that lead to earache in both adults and children:
- Bacterial or viral infection
- Respiratory problem
- The build-up of ear wax
- Cold and flu
- Sudden changes in ear pressure
- Rupture tympanic membrane
Symptoms of earache
Here are the most common experience symptoms that help you know what it feels like to have an earache:
- Severe pain in the ear
- Irritation, followed by inflammation in the ear
- Fluid discharge
- Loss of sensitivity to sound
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Excessive crying in children
Home remedies for earache
Here are the 6 best home remedies for earache which you can use at home during less severe earache.
It sounds strange and the smell may agitate you but it really works. One of the effectual home remedies for earache is onion juice. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. The remedy is very convincing in easing the pain.
- Bray the onion and extract the juice and heat it
- Put 2-3 drops of this juice about 2-3 times for a day.
- Then see what will happen to your ear pain.
Peppermint leaves and oil is the best home remedies for the earache. It offers soothing relief to the are and brings down pain instantly.
- Put fresh peppermint juice in a dropper ( if not available just use a spoon ) and then just put a few drops in the ear canal.
- Swab peppermint oil externally around the affected area with the help of cotton.
- Avoid getting oil inside the ear canal.
3. Olive oil
Olive oil is one of the widely used home remedies for earache. It can provide relief during pain. do you have any idea about sweet oil?
Another name of olive oil is sweet oil. sweet oil is also used as the best home remedies for earache.
- Put 3-4 drops of lukewarm oil into the ear canal.
- Tilts the person head in the opposite direction
- Don’t worry about following across eardrum.
- Clean your ear with cotton as it will soak up all the oil.
Garlic has been long used in folk medicine to relieve pain. Some research suggests it has antimicrobial properties that can fight infections.
People should not use as a substitute for antibiotics instead considering adding to an antibiotics regimen to speed up relief.
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for the earache problem which is easily available in every house’s kitchen.
- Take a teaspoon of minced garlic and heat it in the sesame oil.
- purify the oil and few drops in the aching
- This will relieve the pain.
5. Heat or hot water
The heat from an electric heating pad or hot pack can reduce the inflammation and the pain in the ear.
A hot water compress is considered to be a quick remedy for ear pain. It is a safe, effective, and economical way of treating different types of pains, including earache. Here’s how to do it:
- Haul a hot water bottle and wrap it with a towel
- Put it over the ear
- It is very relieving pain of ear.
6. Mustard oil
Mustard is one of the best home remedies for the earache. It can control underlying infections and even soften the ward, compacted wax in the ear.
To use this ingredient, you must warm the mustard oil as out few drops in the ear. The soften wax can be gently removed with a cloth.
Prevention of earache
If you are frequently prone to ear pain, you must follow this prevention method to lower the risk.
- Never poke an object into the ear especially sharp object, including cotton bud.
- When you are travelling in-plane, be sure to chew or yawn during take-off and landing to avoid air pressure issues.
- Ear pain caused to nasal congestions can be prevented by taking medicated drops.
- A thorough medical checkup can rule ou the possibilities of any chronic problems that lead to earache.
When should I go to the doctor for an earache?
See a doctor or visit an urgent care centre for less severe earache symptoms:
- Minor hearing loss, ringing in ears, and/ or dizziness.
- Signs of infections, including low fever.
- A sticky or bloody discharge coming from the ear.
- Increased pain when wiggling the ear lobe.
- Nose blowing that results in ear pain.
- You can also visit the doctor when the home remedies for earache does not work and the pain gave you severe disturbance.
Earache may be due to infection and inflammation of the external, middle, or inner ear as well as from the structures that are located adjacent to itself.
Earache may be often treated at home. The goal is to decrease the inflammation and pain. The 6 best home remedies for earache can help to reduce the pain and the inflammation.