Home remedies for cough
Trusting on home remedies for cough is something that many Asian households still believe. Besides treating cough effectively, these home remedies for cough are also free from any side effects. Cough is a voluntary or involuntary protective reflex that clears the throat and breathing passage of foreign particles. Coughing can be done deliberately or as part of a reflex.
Mucus dries down the throat and prevents breathing initiating a cough. Exposure to environmental irritates such as pollen dust, dust particles matter, chemicals, and pet dander can causes cough. here we have discussed some home remedies for cough that will help you to treat the cough.
Facts on cough
- some germs can spread cough to new hosts.
- There is a wide array of potential causes of coughs.
- some types of cough only occur at night.
- If the cough is difficult to diagnose, a chest X-ray may be necessary.
There are three phases of a cough.
- Inhalation (breathing in )
- Raised pressure in the throat and lungs with the vocal cords closed
- a stormy release of air when the vocal cords open.
Note: Some times coughing can give rise to lung cancer or some types of coughing are a symptom of lung cancer.
- A cough related to lung cancer may be either dry or wet.
- Not every cough signifies the presence of lung cancer. However many people do have a problem with a chronic cough or a type of cough that just doesn’t get heal or go away.
- At the time of their diagnosis coughing up blood or rust-colored phlegm may signify lung cancer.
Home remedies for cough
Listed below are the best home remedies for the cough which you have to follow regularly till you get complete relief from the cough.
Honey has antibacterial properties and can also help to coat the throat, alleviating irritation.
Honey is a time venerate remedy for a sore. You can prepare your own remedy by mixing up 2 spoons of honey with herbal tea or warm water and lemon. The honey is a soothing agent while lemon is congestion.
2. A mixture of lemon, cinnamon, and honey
Another effective home remedy for cough is a mixture of lemon, cinnamon, and honey. this syrup effectively cures cough
How to prepare the syrup: in half spoon of honey, add a few drops of lemon and a pinch of cinnamon. have this syrup twice a day to cure cough.
we usually don’t think about this factor as a cough remedy. Yes, it is probably because you’ve never heard of bromelain is the enzyme found only in the stem and fruits of pineapples.
This can also help to suppress a cough as well as loosen the mucus in your throat.
Their leaves are well known for their healing properties. The menthol in peppermint helps to soothe the throat and act as a decongestant which helps to break down the mucus victim can get benefited by drinking peppermint tea or inhaling through the steam bath.
Marshmallow is made from Althaea Officinalis a perennial flower that blooms in summer. Leaves and roots of this herbal plant have been used for many years to treat sore throat and suppress cough.
6. Salt and water gargle.
While these remedies may seem to be simple but salt and water gargle can help to soothe a scratchy throat that causes you to cough. This is also known as old age therapy.
- Add on 1 teaspoon of salt in 8 oz of warm water.
- stir well and use it to gargle for about 30-45 seconds
- hawk it out to clear the infection and rinse your mouth with normal water.
- repeat it twice daily (morning and evening) to get relief from the problem.
Ginger may relax a dry asthmatic cough as it has anti-inflammatory properties. It may also comfort from nausea and pain. One study has concluded that ginger relaxes the membrane of the airway which could relax or reduce Coughing.
Ginger tea is one of the effective home remedies for cough. The tea helps in the drying running and dripping nose. Among various health benefits of ginger, it is known to soothe a cough and speeds up the recovery process.
8. Milk and turmeric
An essential ingredient found in almost all Asian kitchens, turmeric has a strong antioxidant that helps in treating many health problems. Turmeric mixed in warm milk is a popular and effective way to fight against cough. Drinking a glass of warm turmeric milk before sleeping helps in faster recovery from cough.
They do not directly relieve a cough but they may boost the immune system by balancing the bacteria in the gut.
Causes of acute (short-term ) cough
- In most cases, the infection is in the upper respiratory tract and affects the throat. Eg:- includes
- common cold
- While bronchi and pneumonia are lower respiratory tract infection (LRTI) and others are upper respiratory tract infection (URTI).
Causes of chronic cough or long term cough
A chronic cough may be caused by:-
- mucus splashing down the throat from the back of the nose.
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- some medications like ACE Inhibitors.
if a doctor decides that a cough is caused by a simple common cold or flu then generally the advice will be drinking plenty of fluids and it will be clear after some course of a day.
A cough caused by a viral infection can persist for the long term and that required medical attention.
The doctor may order some diagnostic tests such as a chest X-ray or a sputum test.
The patient may be asked to breathe in and out this helps the doctor to find obstacles in the windpipe.
The best way to treat cough caused by viral infection is to let the immunity power deal with it.
If a doctor is treating a cough, they will focus on the causes, for example, if it is due to an ACE inhibitor it may be discontinued codeine, dextromethorphan, and the other cough suppressants are used by people with a cough.
Coughing is itself a disease but sometimes it can be seen as a symptom in many diseases the home remedies for cough mentioned above can be taken only with precaution because sometimes some remedies can’t be beneficial to everyone.
The information contained on WOMS-HEALTH TIPS (home remedies for cough) is intended for informational and educational purposes only. visit your doctor or health care expert before you try.