A double chin is a deposition of fatty tissue just beneath the external layer of the chin. It is also known as submental fat. Moreover, a double chin produces vivid effects on your aesthetics, making you look older and obese. It is quite a common condition affecting men and women equally. A double chin may occur due to several reasons. There are several double chin exercises to deal with this stubborn fat layer and enhance your facial beauty.
A double chin is associated with obesity. But it is not only dependent on weight. In contrast, you look slim but may have a double chin. This fatty tissue under the chin continues to deposit under the skin. When it becomes large enough, it produces wrinkles in the skin, creating a fake appearance of more than one chin. You need not worry about this at all. You can get rid of this fatty layer with the help of double chin exercises.
This article explains all the basic and additional double chin exercises to help you deal with this resistant fatty tissue. Moreover, it also describes the etiology and other alternative methods to deal with this problem. Let us have an illustrative look at the prime details related to double chin exercises.
What are the main factors that may cause a double chin?
Double chin etiology seems quite straightforward to understand. Most people think that a double chin occurs because of increased body weight. It is true, but not in all cases. Obesity may cause a double chin but not always. There are several other causes that may induce double chin formation. Let us have a look at the other main causes of the double chin.
One of the main causes of double chin is obviously increased weight gain. Excessive weight gain occurs usually because of more fat intake. These extra fats continue to deposit beneath the epidermal layer of skin at different parts. Body type also affects the formation of a double chin. Some people easily gain weight on their face. So it also depends on your body type.
Aging is also one of the main factors to produce a double chin. In our mid-twenties, the collagen production in our skin starts declining. When this happens, the skin loses its elasticity and starts sagging. Saggy skin also produces the same appearance as a double chin under the jaw. With time, muscles also lose their tonicity. It further accelerates the appearance of a double chin under the jaw. Smoking, malnourishment, or sun ray exposure can further enhance the effect of a double chin due to its harmful qualities.
Your posture also affects the muscles of the chin and neck. Your muscles continue to weaken with time. Ultimately, the skin under the jaw loses its elasticity if not used properly. We tend to bow over the things we are seeing or reading. It may affect the muscles of your neck and chin, causing a double chin.
Facial structures are also associated with the formation of a double chin. Just like some body types are more flattering towards gaining weight. In the same way, some face types are likely to gain more fat than other people.
For example, people having weak jawlines and recessive china are more prone to induce double chin. It is because the skin is stretched over a small section. Therefore, a little fat deposit or decreased elasticity under this skin may cause a double chin formation. It is one of the main reasons for slim people having a double chin.
If you notice a plumpy double chin among your family members, then, unfortunately, you are also susceptible to inducing a double chin. There are no such specific genes that induce the trait of a double chin. Any trait number can cause double chin formation.
What are the double chin exercises to manage the fat tissue under the skin?
Double chin exercises play a primary role in managing the fat tissue under the chin. There are multiple exercises that help to reduce the fat tissue under the chin.
Before doing any exercise, first warm up your neck muscles by gently moving your head forward, backward, upwards, and downward. It will help to prevent any stretch injury to the neck muscles due to exercise.
Let us have a detailed look at these different double chin exercises to understand them in detail.
Straight jaw jut
- For this exercise, tilt your head in the backward direction.
- Look in the upper direction towards the ceiling.
- Put your lower jaw in the forwarding direction to maintain a proper stretch under the chin.
- Hold this position while counting up to 10.
- After this, relax your jaw and maintain the normal position of your head.
- Repeat this exercise 2 to 3 times a day to get the maximum results.
- For this exercise, take a ball of 9 to 10 inches. Put this ball under your chin.
- Hold the ball under your chin by making a strong grip on the ball with the chin.
- Continue pressing your chin down over the ball.
- Repeat this exercise several times a day to get maximum results.
- Maintain the same position for a straight jaw jut (tilted head backward while looking at the horizon).
- Pucker your lips like you are kissing the ceiling to stretch the area under your chin.
- Repeat this exercise several times a day to get maximum results.
Tongue stretch or the lion’s yawn:
- For this exercise, look straight.
- Stick your tongue out as far as possible.
- Try to lift your tongue in an upward direction and towards the nose.
- It will help to strengthen the muscles of the cheek, chin, and neck.
- Hold this position for up to 10 seconds and then back to the normal position.
- Continue repeating this exercise several times a day.
- For this, again tilt your head in the backward direction and look towards the sky.
- Try to press your tongue against the roof of the oral cavity.
- Hold this position for up to 10 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise several times a day to get results.
- Face Yoga also helps to reduce the double chin appearance.
- One of the simple techniques is dumbbell Yoga.
- Just lift your chin and look towards the ceiling.
- Open and close your mouth repeatedly for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Relax yourself and come back to the normal position.
- Repeat this 3 to 4 times a day to reduce fatty tissue.
What are the other methods to deal with the double chin?
Double chin exercises are necessary to deal with it. In addition, you also need to go for other options in combination with double chin exercises. It accelerates the effects of reducing double chin through exercise. These are the main options that must be balanced with daily double chin exercises to get the maximum results.
Lifestyle modification includes improving your diet with your daily exercise. It helps you to maintain your healthy lifestyle with the reduction of fat under the chin. Dietary modifications include:
- Take more servings of vegetables and fruits every day.
- Go for whole grains instead of refined grains.
- Limit processed food items.
- Take lean protein in the form of fish or poultry
- Ensure the intake of healthy fats like olive oil, etc.
- Take dairy products containing low-fat count.
- Maintaining your daily calorie needs to boost your results.
Also read: How to lose face fat?
What are the medical treatment options to deal with a double chin?
If you have having double chin due to genetic problems, you may go for the medical options to tighten up the skin under the jaw. These are invasive procedures to deal with the stubborn double chin for cosmetic purposes. These are as follows:
It is also considered liposculpture. This procedure requires liposuction or heat from a laser to melt the fat and contour the skin. In addition, this procedure requires only local anesthesia to treat the double chin. Lipolysis mainly affects the fat tissue present under the chin. Moreover, lipolysis has no concern with the elasticity of the skin or the weakness of the muscles. There are also some side effects associated with lipolysis. These are as follows:
- Bruise formation
It is a minimally invasive procedure to treat a double chin. During this procedure, a fat-dissolving material is injected through injections to dissolve fat tissue under the chin. There are multiple seatings to treat the double chin. In addition, it takes about 20 or more injections of deoxycholic acid to treat a double chin. Deoxycholic acid can cause severe nerve damage if wrongly injected. There are several other potential side effects of this procedure. These are as follows:
Double chin formation occurs due to the deposition of fat tissue under the chin. It has a great impact on facial appearance. There are several factors that induce the formation of a double chin. Weight gain, aging, genetics, and facial structure are some of these factors. The best way to get rid of the double chin is to maintain a healthy diet and regular double chin exercises. There are no such alternative ways to treat double chin.
In addition, there are medical treatments to deal with the double chin. Besides their benefits, these treatment procedures also exhibit several side effects to disturb the aesthetics. Therefore, it is better to exercise regularly and take a balanced diet to deal with your double chin.