Pregnancy is a period during which several hormones and chemicals are released into the body. They have different kinds of body functioning to maintain homeostasis. Pregnancy itching is a very common problem among females. It usually happens because of increased levels of various chemicals like hormones.
In addition, there are several other medical conditions that are associated with pregnancy itching. One of the most common diseases associated with pregnancy itching is intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. It is also known as obstetric cholestasis.
Mild itching is a common problem during pregnancy due to the increased blood supply to the skin. Moreover, as your baby grows, your abdomen skin stretches, and you may feel itchy skin. Mild itching needs nothing to worry about. But, If you feel severe itching, you may need medical care.
What are the most common causes of itching during pregnancy?
There are several causes of pregnancy itching that may feel uncomfortable to you. Some of the main causes are:
- Stretched skin – during the pregnancy, as the baby grows, skin also stretches which may cause itching.
- Fragrances – Different chemicals may react differently during pregnancy. Some chemicals in various perfumes may cause pregnancy itching.
- Fabrics – During pregnancy, skin becomes sensitive. Fabrics may also cause pregnancy itching by rubbing to the skin.
- Hormonal problem – The pregnancy period is full of hormones. Hormones may increase blood circulation. It affects your mood swings and also causes itching.
- Obstetric cholestasis – It is a liver disease caused by the collection of bile juice in the blood. It may induce the sensation of itching.
- Prurigo – these are encrustations on the arms, legs, and abdomen. It can form during any trimester. These crusty patches may cause itching on the skin.
These are some of the main causes of pregnancy itching. In addition, you may also need to consider the site of itching. As there may be some associated conditions to those areas. Let us have a look at special parts of the body to consider the cause of pregnancy itching.
- Itching on the belly or breast is common during pregnancy. There are several changes going on in these areas during pregnancy. These changes may cause itching in these areas.
- Itching around stretch marks indicates pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP). It also causes pregnancy itching around stretch marks during the last pregnancy.
- Vaginal itching also requires proper treatment.
- Itching on arms or legs indicates an allergy to fabric or prurigo.
Mild itching is of no concern as it is common among pregnant females. But, severe itching around the body parts may indicate a sign of any disease. If you feel severe itching during pregnancy, consult your doctor immediately to prevent any consequences.
When there is a need to visit a doctor for pregnancy itching?
There is no need to worry about mild itching around various parts of the body. But, intense itching indicates some serious medical condition. For this reason, severe pregnancy itching must be considered to visiting any doctor. Cholestasis is associated with severe itching. You must visit a doctor if there are any visible signs of cholestasis. These are some of the signs of cholestasis to consider.
Signs for cholestasis
- Jaundice – visible yellowing of the skin and white part of the eye
- Dark-colored urine
- Nausea and vomiting sensation
- No appetite
- Severe itching – most commonly around feet
Why is there a need to treat cholestasis to prevent pregnancy itching?
Cholestasis is an inherited medical condition that may transfer from mother to daughter. A detailed medical history is necessary to evaluate the genetic cause of cholestasis. For cholestasis, anti-itching medicines are not effective to treat pregnancy itching. Moreover, your doctor will prescribe the medication to lower the quantity of bile acid in the blood.
At the end, the permanent solution for cholestasis is delivering the baby. After this, the itch will resolve itself within a few days.
What are the complications of cholestasis if not treated?
There are some serious consequences of cholestasis if not managed early and properly. There is an increased chance of fetal distress, stillbirth, and premature delivery. For these reasons, cholestasis must be diagnosed at an early stage and managed properly.
What is the treatment for mild pregnancy itching?
There are several causes that may cause pregnancy itching. Consider home remedies and prevention before doing any medication. There are some of the remedies that may help you alleviate pregnancy itching.
- Change your perfume from which you are feeling itching on the skin.
- Keep on wearing some natural fabrics with loose fittings to avoid any allergies.
- Use moisturizer over dry skin.
- Use calamine solution over the skin to relax from scratching.
- Increase the daily intake of your water and stay hydrated.
If itching continues, make an appointment with your doctor to get relief.
Pregnancy itching is a common problem among females. Mild itching occurs due to some hormonal changes during pregnancy. During pregnancy, several hormones are released to maintain the pregnancy phase. In addition, it also increases the blood supply of the skin. Moreover, this increased blood supply may cause mild itching during pregnancy. But, there may be severe itching around the stomach, feet, and other body parts. It may indicate some serious medical condition.
There is no need to worry about mild itching. As it may resolve itself. Whereas, whereas severe itching may require proper medical attention. Severe itching may be because of cholestasis. Cholestasis needs to be properly treated by proper medication. Otherwise, it may cause several complications during pregnancy.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Is itching in pregnancy logical?
Itching during pregnancy is quite normal due to increased hormonal changes. Moreover, a growing uterus may also stretch the skin of the belly. If you usually get eczema, it may worsen during pregnancy.
Does itching during the night of some serious consideration?
Itching during night or evening timelapse may indicate some serious problems. If you find any serious itching, you should consult your doctor for itching.