Foot Reduction Surgery: Is It good or bad?
People are more conscious about the cosmetic procedures that make their looks more aesthetic and attractive. Some people want to know golden ways to get bigger hands while some want to shorten feet. Feet are one of the main structures that help you to maintain your stressful body positions. In addition, any misalignment in the shape of your foot may stress your body joints. For several reasons, foot reduction surgery is in demand to make your foot look beautiful in designer sandals.
Do you also think of making your foot look like Cinderella, fitting in the best-shaped designer shoes? Foot reduction surgery is one of the best cosmetic procedures with reliable results and without side effects. Foot reduction surgery is a cosmetic procedure offering quality results with the possible treatment of foot and ankle problems. This procedure also relieves pain and other discomforts of related joints.
This article explains the details of the foot reduction surgery, concerning the positive and negative facts of this cosmetic procedure. In addition, it will also provide illustrative information to make a better decision regarding foot reduction surgery. Take a deep dive with us to clear your misconceptions regarding this cosmetic surgical procedure.
What is foot reduction surgery?
This foot shortening procedure is also known as the foot tuck procedure. Some people are born with smaller feet, looking attractive in sleek designer fits. At the same time, others have to undergo different kinds of cosmetic surgeries to make their feet attractive. Foot reduction surgery is one of those cosmetic procedures that can reduce your foot size comparable to your original foot size. This procedure combines different surgical procedures into one cosmetic procedure to recontour foot shape.
Foot reduction surgery is a reconstructive procedure to offer one to two size reduction in their overall foot size. This procedure not only offers a reduction in the overall length of the foot but also reduces the width of the foot. In this way, it offers a slimmer appearance of the foot, fulfilling the desires of the patients.
What are the key facts about foot reduction surgery?
Foot reduction surgery is a beneficial cosmetic procedure for the best maintenance of the appearance of the feet. Similarly, toe shortening surgery is also done for the same reason. There are several positive features of these cosmetic procedures. Some of them are as follows:
- Foot reduction surgery is a minimally invasive procedure. It requires a 10mm incision making it a comprehensive surgical procedure.
- There is minimal pain during this procedure with faster recovery rates due to smaller incisions.
- This procedure takes about 30 minutes to complete the surgery.
- The 10mm incisions for this surgical procedure are so tiny that no such visible stitches are required. In this way, there is no scar formation and rapid healing of the tissue. This technique makes this surgery aesthetically best for the size reduction of the foot.
- This surgical procedure causes very little damage to the body tissue, improving the smoother recovery rate. It enables the patients to perform their normal daily activities following day after the surgery.
Which persons are the best candidates for foot reduction surgery?
There is no such specified criterion for foot reduction surgery. But, as this is a surgical procedure, there are some general rules to proceed with the surgery. Some of the basic rules are as follows:
- You should be in the best of physical health with improved immune status and without any disease.
- If you are taking blood thinners or any other medication like this, your doctor may suggest you stop this therapy a few days before the surgery.
- If you are a regular smoker, your doctor may ask you to stop smoking to boost your immune status. It will help in the fast recovery of the damaged tissue in the area of the incision.
- Your goals associated with the foot reduction surgery should be quite realistic. It is an important factor that must be set before this surgery. Any unrealistic approach may automatically reject you as a patient for foot reduction surgery.
What is the procedure for foot reduction surgery?
Foot reduction surgery requires very small incisions of about 10mm in different areas surrounding the whole feet. With the help of these incisions, your surgeon will properly contour the visible bony structures. These bony outgrowths affect the shape and size of the feet. It also helps to reduce the length of toes and both heels. The surgical procedure is as follows:
- This procedure requires general anesthesia or MAC anesthesia to perform this surgical procedure without any kind of pain.
- After reducing the bony outgrowths, two metallic screws are used to grip the heel bone in its reduced position.
- Temporary fixation is also placed in the toes that are removed later in the office.
- At the incision areas, a cosmetic closure is placed to avoid any visible scar formation.
- This procedure is done within a shorter time duration of fewer than 2 hours.
- Patients can be discharged from the hospital on the same day and can walk with the help of crutches.
After how much time, the recovery of the feet is possible?
Surgical procedures require a little bit of time to heal properly according to the requirements of the patients. The patient is usually placed in a splint following an air walker for 6 to 8 weeks. Moreover, patients can walk with the help of crutches. But they should be non-weight bearing for about six weeks. After this time period, the patient may start lifting a slight weight on the operative side. After eight weeks, patients can move back to their normal shoe size.
Complete recovery may take about 3 to 6 months, depending on the surgeon’s skills and swelling post-operatively. In addition, several other factors can also affect the healing period. These factors include age, psychological concern, and the patient’s personal health. After the reconstructive procedure, the patient may feel slight pain and swelling after the surgery. The pain and swelling should be managed through oral intake of analgesics and elevation of the extremities.
Also read: How to get bigger wrists: 9 simple and effective ways
What are the possible side effects of foot reduction surgery?
Every surgical procedure may have some side effects related to that procedure. If you don’t want to go with this, you can also check out ways on how to get taller. Besides being a proficient surgeon with great expertise in the skills, there are some complications that are possible with this cosmetic procedure. These are as follows:
- Excessive shortening of the feet
- Post-operative swelling and pain
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Nerve entrapment
- Stiffness in the associated joints
- Complex regional pain syndrome
Foot reduction surgery focuses on the removal of the bony outgrowths of feet affecting the size and shape of the feet. People having great bony growths can benefit from this surgical procedure. This procedure is the best option to contour the feet according to your desires. It is a minimally invasive procedure requiring only a small incision. These incisions heal rapidly with no definite scar formation.
Foot reduction surgery requires a small time period to complete the contouring of the feet. In addition, this procedure also works best for the cosmetic procedure to focus on the aesthetics of the feet. Some women also want to get a sleek designer fit. For this reason, they contour their feet accordingly with the help of foot reduction surgery.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
How much foot reduction size is possible with this surgery?
You can get one to two size reductions in their shoe size with the help of this surgery. It is quite a realistic approach before going for foot reduction surgery.
What is the overall cost of foot reduction surgery?
Cosmetic procedures are quite costly and require a hefty amount to go for such procedures. It depends on the surgeon’s demand. Usually, the overall cost for foot reduction surgery varies from 4500$ to 9000$ depending on the surgeon.