Autism Spectrum: Treatment and Intervention
Although it may not seem so at first, autism can be a pretty difficult ailment to deal with. And, if you’re a working parent, the whole situation will be even trickier than you can imagine. You should be aware of Autism Spectrum.
Due to this reason, if your child has been diagnosed with ASD, don’t wait anymore. Visit a specialist and find a way to get them treated as soon as possible. It might help the kid to get better with time, manage their mood, improve their quality of life as a whole, and know parents about Autism Spectrum.
How To Treat Autism And Know Autism Spectrum?
There was a time when autism couldn’t be treated like almost any other brain-related illness. Nonetheless, since then, medical science has improved quite a lot and made several effective autism treatment options available. The following are a few of them.
Option – 1: Behavioral Treatment
A behavioral approach, as the name implies, will solely focus on the ever-changing behavior of an autism patient. Usually, this type of intervention is provided through two techniques. Here’s what you need to know about them.
- The DTT method uses a step-by-step process to teach a desired response or behavior to the patient. The lesson will be categorized into simpler parts, and if your kid answers correctly, they’ll be rewarded for it. However, if they’ve offered a wrong response or behaved too crudely, it’ll be ignored.
- Unlike DTT, the PRT technique will be used in a more natural setting like a school or your house. It’ll focus on improving the core skills, such as talking or interacting, of your kid. This, in turn, can be ideal for your child to develop the communication skills even further and ensure their growth as a person.
Option – 2: Developmental Approach
Contrary to the former, the development approach will be all about improving the physical and language skills of an autistic child. This type of therapy is provided through three diverse ranges of techniques. They are –
- Occupational therapy will tell your child about how they can live on their own. The skills they can learn with it may include – dressing, bathing, eating, and relating to people surrounding them.
- Physical therapy is, as the name implies, all about improving your kid’s physical attributes. It may include – moving their fingers freely, walking while maintaining the correct posture, and sitting correctly.
- Sensory integration therapy can improve their response to any sensory input, which might seem too overwhelming or restrictive. Hence, with it, they’ll be able to tackle their mood swings much more efficiently.
A social-relationship treatment will try to improve the social skill of an individual and help them build a proper emotional bond with others. Some of the core techniques employed in this aspect may include –
- Social stories are used to offer simple and straightforward descriptions of what your kid should expect from a social situation.
- The development- and relationship-based model will focus on the kid’s interests and offer some insights on how to communicate with others.
- The social skills groups will provide an opportunity for your child to meet someone new and practice their newly-acquired social skills properly.
Option – 4: Educational Approach
An educational treatment is usually provided in a classroom setting. It usually helps someone suffering from autism to improve their consistency and get adjusted to a classroom structure.
In addition, this type of approach will also prompt them to create a daily routine for their purpose and stick to it. They’ll also be able to set boundaries with regard to learning and make sure that their educational growth is thriving the right way.
Option – 5: Psychological Treatment
An autistic individual usually suffers from a wide array of emotions. Hence, when they’re sad about something, they tend to flush out all of their feelings at once. This is something that can be treated through a psychological approach.
For example, CBT or Cognitive-Behavior Therapy is a type of psychological approach that can be used to –
- Learning the connection between feelings and thoughts,
- Identifying goals and working towards them, and
- Understanding a situation and taking proper measures to get away from it.
Treating Autism In The Right Way!
When it comes to treating autism, only opting for a single intervention method isn’t going to be enough for you. Besides, you should also opt for at least one complementary treatment or two such as nutritional supplements for your child. Don’t forget to talk to your doctor about it to get more information.
Also Read: Ways To Overcome Mood Disorders at Home