What is hyperspermia?
Hyperspermia is a condition where a male person produces semen of a larger volume than average volume. The fluid that man ejaculates during orgasm or copulation is semen, which contains sperm, along with other fluids produced from the prostate gland.
Hyperspermia is a relatively rare condition. It is comparatively less common than hypothermia. In various studies around the world, fewer than 5 to 10 percent of men had a high sperm volume.
Hyperspermia doesn’t affect a man’s health adversely or negatively. However, it could reduce his fertility, and sperm counts can differ.
Semen is the fluid that is ejaculated at the time of orgasm containing sperm and secreted from seminal vesicle (60%), prostate (30%), vas deferens (10%), Cowper’s gland covering by the urethral gland.
|1||Sperm Count||40 – 200 million/ml (Avg: 100 million/ml)|
|3||pH||7.35 – 7.50|
Composition of semen:
- Unfertilized sperms
- other components:
| ||From seminal vesicles (Contribute 60% of total volume)|
| ||From prostate (contributes 20% of total volume)|
Symptoms of Hyperspermia
Unless you are willing to risk your chance of becoming a parent, it’s best to take an early step towards treating the condition.
Here are some significant symptoms of hyperspermia that you need to be aware of:
- Production of a more significant amount of seminal fluid during ejaculation: This condition is also defined as the production of semen volume of more than 6.3 milliliters (0.21 ounces), but some other studies put it in the range of 6.0 to 6.5 milliliters (0.2 to 0.22 ounces) or more than that.
- Chances of infertility or miscarriage: Men with hyperspermia can have a problem for getting their partner pregnant. If their partner does become pregnant, there’s a slightly higher risk of miscarriage during that period.
- The long duration of sexual drive: Some men with hyperspermia have a more extended period of a sex drive than men without the condition.
- Alteration in the sperm color: The color of sperm discharged will be an off-white or yellowish color.
- Pain during ejaculation: Men and boys suffering from hyperemia often experience mild discomfort during ejaculation. Also, pains and aches in the genitals are joint.
What can cause Hyperspermia?
Though the definite cause of hyperspermia is yet to be identified, particular factors may cause this rare condition:
- Use of stamina boosting drugs: Sperm level goes up due o the usage of sexual performance-boosting drugs and objects, which leads to increase sperm count.
- Intervals between sexual intercourse: One of the other cause of increase sperm count is the increased interval between sexual that lead to accumulation of sperm.
- Sexual accelerators: Use of the various Pills which increase sexual performance would invariably increase semen levels.
- Diet: Consumption of food rich in proteins, fibers, and nutrients are said to increase the volume of seminal fluid in some cases.
- Prostate infection: Experts believe that an infection in the prostate can sometimes induce this rare condition in men.
- Use of steroids: The purpose of steroids can also lead to this condition.
Diagnosis of Hyperspermia
Here are some methods used to diagnose hyperspermia:
- Physical examination to check the male reproductive organs
- Semen analysis
- Hormone test
Hyperspermia mainly doesn’t require treatment until it doesn’t cause any problems related to the fertilization. But Prevention is critical, so it is recommended worth to stay away from the sexual-performance enhancing drugs and pills.
But also if the seminal discharge causes you problems, then it is wise to consult a urologist.
If the hyperspermia is causing infertility problem, then one should access for treatment. The treatments include:
Medicine to increase the sperm count.
Clomiphene citrate (Clomid) is a medicine used to increase sperm count. It is an estrogen blocker. When men take it in oral form, it triggers the pituitary gland to make more luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulation (FSH). A higher-level of these two hormones can improve sperm count, morphology, and motility.
Sperm retrieval technique
Sperm retrieval technique is anyway used to get sperm for fertility purposes. There are many ways to get sperm. The method used depends on why sperm isn’t in the semen, what the patients want, and the surgeon’s skill.
Some of sperm retrieval technique is:
- Penile vibratory stimulation (PVS)
- Electroejaculation (EEJ)
- Testicular sperm extraction (TESE)
- Testicular sperm Aspiration (TESA)
- TESA with Mapping
- Microsurgical Epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA)
- Percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration (PESA)
- Microsurgical testicular sperm extraction (micro-TESE)
Use IVF or ICSI to achieve pregnancy.
Invitro fertilization can be used to treat infertility in the following patients. Blocked or damaged fallopian tubes. Male factor infertility, including diminished sperm count or sperm motility. Women with ovulation disorders, premature ovarian failure, uterine fibroids. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) can help in the management of the hyperspermia
Hyperspermia is found to be affected by around four percent of the male population in India. Though you escape from all the causative factors for hyperspermia like stamina boosting drugs, steroids, and diet, there are no definite preventive measures for this condition. If you face any major problem, you must consult a urologist.