Effective communication skills are an essential part of nursing and midwifery practice. Communication is the critical factor underlying everything we do in daily life and professional nursing practice. This book, Essential communication skills for nursing and midwifery, highlights the fundamental aspects for readers to communicate with confidence in clinical practice.
This book explores the basic concepts of communication in everyday nursing and midwifery practice. In addition, this book also explains the communication skills necessary for the development of effective therapeutic relationships. The valuable aim is to enable the practitioners to reflect on the effectiveness of these communication skills in clinical practice.
From the learning aspects
This book focuses on the theory of productive and ethical communication related to nursing and midwifery practice. In addition, this book also provides a framework for establishing communication skills to overcome a variety of complex situations. Moreover, this book also highlights the application of successful communication skills to nursing and midwifery practice.
MSc CertEd, FPACert, RN RM RHV RNT CCRelate
Visiting lecturer, reflective practice at school of community and health sciences, city university London the UK
MSc, BEd(Hons), PgDip(TA), RN, RCNT
Lecturer of psychology and communication and counseling skills at school of community and health sciences, City university London, UK
BSc(Hons) PgDip(Ed) RN
Professor of clinical skills at school of community and health sciences, City university London, UK
Clinical features of Essential communication skills for nursing and midwifery
This book encompasses several clinical aspects to highlight the clinical practice of communication skills. In addition, this book also provides guidance related to the application of these skills in professional practice. Moreover, these clinical points help to understand the basics of communication skills for nursing and midwifery practice. Let us explore these clinical aspects.
This book provides clinical scenarios related to an everyday situation. In addition, these clinical scenarios help to manage daily routine critical conditions. Moreover, these scenarios also help to develop communication skills in an improved manner.
This book also explores the specific and critical aspects of communication in midwifery practice. In addition, this book also explains the people with dementia and the distinct communication skills to manage such patients.
This book also focuses on the preparation of yourself before putting any skill into clinical practice. This personal practice helps to achieve confidence and therapeutic relationships in different situations.
At the end of every scenario, there are reflection-on-practice questions for the readers. These questions help the readers analyze their learning and the application of communication skills in their future practice.
This book includes specific references for every chapter. In addition, there are also some suggestions for further reading. In this way, this book also helps to explore additional study material for clinical practice.
Changes delivered in the latest (2nd) edition of Essential communication skills for nursing and midwifery
This book exhibits several changes in the latest edition. In addition, this book describes all the essential details effortlessly and effectively. Moreover, this book also highlights the important points for the convenience of the readers. Let us explain these significant clinical changes in this latest edition for the sake of review.
- Explained in an easy and understanding manner
- There is an introduction of every chapter at the start for better learning and improved understanding.
- This book includes several summary boxes and tables for quick and easy revision.
- It also includes several clinical images and diagrams to engage the attention of the reader.
- This book highlights several psychological theories to develop communication skills for better clinical practice.
- This book also provides clinical scenarios with their proper explanation for improved clinical learning.
- It also provides a detailed description of self-preparation before practicing these communication skills.
- This book also provides reflection-on-practice questions at the end of every scenario to evaluate the preparation and practice of communication skills.
- This book also provides information related to the specific conditions of patients with dementia and communication skills for such patients.
- This book also provides communication skills when you are working with a team or in groups.
- It also includes management skills to tackle difficult situations in clinical practice.
- This book is also available in pdf format with proper book details and clinical scenarios.
Content details of Essential communication skills for nursing and midwifery
This book covers all the fundamental topics related to the essential communication skills for nursing and midwifery practice. In addition, this book helps with the application of these communication skills in professional practice. Moreover, this book also highlights the development of therapeutic relationships in clinical practice.
This book is divided into ten valuable sections to highlight the communication skills for nursing and midwifery practice. In addition, this book provides detailed knowledge about the practice of these communication skills. This book mainly focuses on:
- Reflecting on practice
- Ensuring respect and dignity
- Empathy and comfort skills
- Interview and assessment skills
- Assertiveness, advocacy, and negotiation skills
- Communicating where barriers exist
- Managing difficult situations
- Working in groups and teams
- Teaching skills
This book also explains glossary and obstetrics terminologies in emergency conditions. In addition, this book also provides examples of strategies for communication partners of people with aphasia.
|Book name:||Essential communication skills for nursing and midwifery|
|Author:||Philippa sully Joan Dallas|
|Publisher:||Elsevier health sciences|
|Book volume:||256 pages|
This book provides all the essential details to maintain communication skills in nursing and midwifery practice. In addition, this book also provides details about developing therapeutic relationships. Moreover, this book includes several clinical scenarios to explain how to apply these communication skills in professional practice.
This book is best for the nurses, specialist nurses, and midwives to learn basic communication skills. In addition, this book also helps nurses establish better communication with the staff and patients for effective clinical practice. This book is also available in pdf format and eBook version. You can get this book on any electronic media platform without spending any bucks.