Taking care of your health in today’s generation doesn’t only limit to hygiene and immunity. Today’s world is the world of technologies. There are various technologies to make one’s life easier and effective. While using these technologies we should not forget our health. Screen printing machines are among these technologies for which special precautions should be taken to prevent injuries.
Why to take precautions?
The first thing that comes in one’s mind is if it’s really necessary to take precautions. Even if you have the best t-shirt printer the answer will be yes. Various accidents occur every year due to improper handling of printing machineries. Some of the common injuries include cuts and bruises, lacerations, dislocations, fractures as well as finger or hand crushing. There may even be fatal accidents if proper care and precautions are not taken while using these machines.
What are the common causes of printing machinery accidents?
Some of the common causes of printing machinery accidents include the following:
- Drawing into the running nips of the rollers of the machine
- Coming directly in contact with the dangerous moving parts of the machine
- Entangling with the rotating parts may also result in accidents
- Lack of proper guarding of the printing machine
- Lack of proper maintenance of the machine parts
- Unsafe interventions may also result in injuries
What health precautions should be taken while using printing machines?
According to the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER), you should always run a machine only after knowing about possible risks and their methods of prevention. As discussed above, you may be well aware of how important it is to take precautions before using the machines. Some of the ways to avoid possible accidents and injuries are as follows:
Precautions related to the machine
Choose the right type of machine
The first precaution is to choose a suitable machine. A machine should only be chosen according to your work. If you are performing heavy duty work and buy a low quality machine then there is a high chance of possible injuries. In the same way, if you are performing small duty works and buy a heavy duty machine then you may not be able to handle it and again there may be possible injuries.
Proper Guarding of the machine
Even if you have a proper machine for your work, it should be maintained well to avoid accidents. Proper guarding of the machine includes inhibiting access to moving parts of the machine. Similarly, the machine should automatically stop when a person is in the danger zone of the machine. For your safety, you can check if the machine is CE marked and consists of proper operating instructions. Moreover, the safety features of the printing machines should be taken regular care.
In the same way, there should be a proper operator to guard the machine. The operator should be well trained and authorized. The operators should be well aware of not removing any safeguards to make their task easy. Doing this can result into several accidents.
Precautions during the use
- If you have long hair, you should tie it back to avoid possible accidents
- You should perform your work in a well ventilated room. It will be very helpful to prevent accidents if harmful fumes are released from the machine
- You should make sure that you don’t use the machine more than the time
- You should always shut the machine if you are not using it.
- Unattended use of the printing machines should be completely avoided